Introduce yo self!!

[NG] Shane

Re: Introduce yo self!!

Postby [NG] Shane » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:07 pm

adamazing wrote:Not really... Everyone was leaving the company because "things aren't that great." And yeah, Shawn left because he was a born again Jehovah's Witness. He didn't to have anything in his life with violence, magic, etc. He moved to NY, and started a lot of charity work. I was pretty amazed and surprised. He left his dream job! But hey, if he believes in and loves something that much, I can't blame him. But... I knew he wouldn't last though. He loves Monster Hunter and Fable too much... hahaha. He bought a Wii U and a 360 again recently, so he can play them.

As for Unity, there's just way too much hate and "fanboy stuff" going on there now. It started off being a fun place, but there's just too much "internet" there... ESPECIALLY after Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled. They might as well have changed the website URL to "www.vitriol.com." It was really bad. And of course, with Lost Planet 3, that made a lot of people leave/not care, too.
Yeah that's the impression I got too! I'm glad he's doing okay anyway!

That's kind of why I left, it became really polarised there!

[NG] brandon wrote:I'm not really sure what the deal was with lost planet 3. people didn't like it, I gather............?
Sai and myself used to joke that they swapped the dev team with Dead Space. They both just ended up looking like each other!

They also announced E.X. Troopers for the DS around the same time. I think that added even more confused and helped burnt out the audiences interest.

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Yeah, it just wasn't Lost Planet. It's not a bad game. It's pretty fun, and I like the story. But at the end of the day, it's not what Lost Planet people wanted/expected from a main entry in the series.
CAUTION: Challenge of over 100 3D moves.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:40 am

Ahhhhh, that does happen!!

Also DosE I'm waiting for your solo thread!!
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi, I'm Jay! I'm currently living in rural Florida (Northwest Germany soon though!) while working on an adventure game about a clown called Dropsy. As much as game dev and pixel art are my 'things' - I have much more fun playing with synthesis and pedals and all kinds of other sound stuff. Not much of a composer, but making music is definitely the thing I'm doing when I'm enjoying life most. Nice to meet you guys!

:0)

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:02 am

Hello!
I think your game looks cool! I am looking forward to it! dropsy seems like an alright guy.

My friend zak just got two $200 pedals stolen at a show, it was a super sad time :\
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:58 am

Nooooooooooo! I can't imagine that. :'( My pedals are my babies.

And thanks, he is a pretty good fella.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 am

yeah, that's round about how he felt. but luckily he got some cool replacements for cheap right after, serendipitously.

where in rural florida are you? I've got some family in deleon springs and some others in some place I don't even know the name of. also, where in germany are you going, and why!?
HONK HONK

eSPy

Postby eSPy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Well my name is eSPy and I'm here to say
I like vidya games in a major way.

I'm originally from Canada but now live in New Zealand. Just found out about this place after 'Blast City'. I enjoy 'researching' the history of games, but it's definitely not my job. If you want to see more of the stuff I like, please check out my twitter https://twitter.com/HelloMrKearns

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:08 pm

welcome!! what are you doing in new zealand!?
HONK HONK

eSPy

Postby eSPy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:23 pm

[NG] brandon wrote:welcome!! what are you doing in new zealand!?

working at a SUPER SECRET SCIENCE JOB. Basically, met a kiwi girl years ago when she was in Canada, then I came over here to see her and never left. Got residency, a house and now a family. An amazing country if you ever have the chance to visit.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rW3COtEapX4

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:08 am

whoa, that's a lot of things that happened to you there!
HONK HONK

rin

Postby rin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:22 am

hello! my name is darin.

brandon gave me the splendid opportunity to demo Gunsport at a couple of PAXs this year. i had a really good time and was able to meet a ton of very cool people! thanks brandon!

i enjoy movies such as Alien, Blow Out, and Heat. My favorites from recent years are Under the Skin and the new Mad Max(i also like all the older ones!)

sometimes i play video games; i've certainly got a lot of them kicking around. Mario 3, Dota, Nier, Paper Mario, and Earthbound are my favorites. at age 3 i pulled a tv on top of my head while trying to reach the househould NES containing Mario 3. i had to get a whole bunch of stitches!

i enjoy music a lot, especially if it is either very loud and aggressive, or slow and relaxing. i have an affinity for jazz and jazz-fusion, too.

books are great! i'm currently trying to read all the classic literature i missed in school.

i am teaching myself code(C#) and the bass guitar. making slow, but sure progress!

i also have a humdrum day job that is paying my way to a potentially much better day job. it's alright.

nice to meet you all!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:50 am

yay, welcome! you did a whole lot of that gunsporting, and it's mightily appreciated.

that's an impressive video game related injury - I can't say I've had one that was as bad as all that, but I've definitely spilled a lot of hot beverages on myself because I didn't want to put a controller down!
HONK HONK

jayson

Postby jayson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:39 am

Hi. My name is Jayson, like it says over there <<<

I’m from Toronto originally, but I moved to Japan in 2010, and now I still live here (in Yokohama, to be exact)!

I came here originally because of a love of Japanese literature in translation (Yukio Mishima, Banana Yoshimoto, Kenzaburo Oe), and because of a love of old Japanese video games. I still love both of those things!

My other favorite things include making and trying as many different types of curry as possible before I die, and NBA basketball. I used to love listening to jazz music and ‘70s music from Nigeria and Ghana, but then podcasts done got invented, and now they’re all I ever listen to : ( I still love live music though. Saw a steel drum ensemble last week, and am going to a ukulele group performance tonight. I also played in a Japanese taiko drum group for three years and was in a rap group for like half a year. One of our songs got played on the radio in LA once! That was weird.

Now I work as a translator/localizer for a company called Voltage, making romance games for spartphone devices.

I’m going to be a dad for the first time in a matter of weeks!

I’m also always trying to figure out how to get more into the development side of video games, so I’ve dabbled in various coding languages and pixel art makery.

Nice to meet all of you.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:53 am

welcome!!

lots of good music in the 70s from nigeria and ghana!! I'm guessing you have the same comps as I do, with things like this on it:

HONK HONK

jayson

Postby jayson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 am

Heck yeah! Nice choice. And, thanks!

I don't claim to own anything terribly obscure, so we've probably heard a lot of the same stuff.

Like this guy:

James?

Postby James? » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:43 am

Hey all. As I'm sure you can tell, the name is James.

I'm marveling at the large number of Canadians that have made their way here (originally born in Saskatchewan myself, but now I'm just a bit north of Seattle).

While I've had yet to play Gunhouse, I got to experience the joy of Oh Deer, and I'm really looking forward to Gunsport. I've been cruising around Itch.io a lot lately, and soaking up all of the interesting and weird ideas on there. Also I've been slowly researching Sega Saturn release dates in an effort to build a comprehensive list of the titles on it and start learning about them one by one.

I fancy the idea of learning to make games and writing about them with some fraction of skill, so I'm slowly learning my way around Python in and effort to develop a game which procedurally generates story (mostly as an experiment/training exercise to acquire the skills I need to make my dream projects come true), and spend a lot of time writing about games (I've been massively inspired by the reviews on insert credit circa 2003-5 and have been rereading them since it's been years since I first read them).

My musical tastes are all over the place, but lately I've been getting into Burzum (the music has a very nice calming effect on me) and sampling the latest creations on Chipmusic.org.

I have a year and a half old daughter (my wife and I met because of NiGHTs into Dreams), so I've been a lot less active online than I used to be, but this seemed like an awesome place full of cool folks to hang out and chat with. Nice to meet all of you!

Nana

Postby Nana » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:29 am

Dropsy wrote:Hi, I'm Jay! I'm currently living in rural Florida (Northwest Germany soon though!) while working on an adventure game about a clown called Dropsy. As much as game dev and pixel art are my 'things' - I have much more fun playing with synthesis and pedals and all kinds of other sound stuff. Not much of a composer, but making music is definitely the thing I'm doing when I'm enjoying life most. Nice to meet you guys!

:0)

Yo! I looked up the trailer for Dropsy, this game looks great. Beautiful art, and I love the concept. Reminds me a bit of a bunch of other games I love -- like some ChuLip mixed in with Day of the Tentacle. I will definitely be monitoring this one.

Oh, and welcome.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello James!?!??

I didn't particularly note a proliferation of canadians, but maybe that's happening! And if you want to get gunhouse on your vita, you can still do so for 49 cents right here (from your vita browser): http://p0.dl.playstation.net/p0/psns/ps ... 0&type=psm

Anyway, welcome!! If you ever get a comprehensive release calendar of all Saturn games, let me know, because I don't think that's a known quantity basically anywhere on the internet! (although I guess Satakore has 1970 of them http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-com ... ,0,,1.html )
HONK HONK

DosE

Postby DosE » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:41 am

@James? I like Burzum too! Do you like Cemetary Rapist? or GORGUTS? Or entombed? or Brutal Truth? I was born in Saskatchewan and will live here for a bit longer(2 months?)I also love Cryptopsy.
If yer gonna piss in your Chlorox, don't smoke.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm

I like early Gorguts and Cryptopsy! Good stuff there.
HONK HONK

decraft

Postby decraft » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 am

Hey, how's it going? My name is Henry.

I'm a game developer, currently in the AAA. I read Insert Credit way back, probably about a decade ago. In the last two years I got really into the podcast. Since you called out these forums in the last episode I figured I'd come say hi. I like the music suggestions thread; at some point, when I have more time to write, I'll put some stuff on there. I'm always listening to stuff as I work - podcasts, soundtracks, GDC talks, etc., and these days I'm always working, so any suggestions in those categories are cool.

Oh! - and I got "Oh Deer!" on my Vita. :3

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Welcome! What's your role in your AAA production?

I've never listened to a podcast that I wasn't on, but I'm gonna put together a playlist of interesting arabic-language vocal music soon, so you can listen to that!

Glad you got oh, deer! alpha - hope you found it palatable!
HONK HONK

DosE

Postby DosE » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 am

When you make that arabic playlist let me know. Cryptosy! Yeah, i heard "none so vile" on zams(in 98?99?) and the guitars were like wild beasts, that were obsessed with escape, imprisoned by the drummer.
If yer gonna piss in your Chlorox, don't smoke.

decraft

Postby decraft » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's nice that someone is making games with more specific and nuanced retro styles.

I'm a game designer / scripter. Mostly what I do these days is script gameplay systems, but I touch on pretty much everything.

I'll check out that playlist too!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:46 pm

that's cool! did you read our article about the giant scripting project we undertook for oh, deer? Not as complicated as scripting gameplay systems, but maybe of interest.
HONK HONK

decraft

Postby decraft » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 am

Yeah, I read that Gamasutra article about scripting the tracks and making all the art fit together. Pretty cool. I saw the GDC talk you gave about getting funding for stuff, too. You mentioned some of those earlier funding sources were starting to go away, but it seems like there's a lot of funding becoming available for games in VR now. Have you tried any of the VR headsets yet?

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:04 am

If you're making a VR game you'll be able to get a lot of people to write articles about it if it's in any way interesting. So if you can get one of those VR companies to fund it then it might be worth if it you wanna try some crazy idea. I know someone working on a VR game for Samsung, but I don't think they're getting money. That could be because they haven't asked though!

Most people developing VR games haven't worked out that they generally work best when they're treated like a rail game rather than a fully explorable world. That being said I don't really like any VR game, and I don't think VR will ever go anywhere!

squarewaves

Postby squarewaves » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:39 am

hi, i'm thomas

i worked in digital media for a few years, until my cubicle started making me nauseous, at which point i moved to shanghai to teach literature to middle school students. i'm back on the east coast now, finishing my last year of grad school. i'm studying interior architecture. i like thinking about how humans occupy spaces, and how spaces can make humans better, more connected beings.

i don't think i'll be making a game any time soon, but whoa do i like thinking about design in the third dimension. i haven't written much on the subject yet, but level design and architectural theory are interesting to think about in parallel.

my other favorite things include making electronic noises and weird graffiti. i like sun ra, andy kaufman, nathanael west, southern rap, richard linklater's Slacker, commas, and the washington wizards.

my friends and i played a whole lot of gunsport at pax east 2015. we're scattered across the east coast now, but are looking forward to playing it again whenever our planets align!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Hello!!
Shanghai is a real weird place! When I first started visiting there it was described as a "new" city... and it was at the time, but now it's quite old compared to the complete facelifts every other city but beijing has gotten. But facelift or no, you still get people living right on top of whatever gets built. It's a pretty cyberpunky bladerunnery place.

I wrote someone's architectural dissertation once (they got their degree, so that's cool), and also worked in an architectural firm in san francisco for two summers as a college student. I mostly hung out in the basement and played emulated Game Gear games on my GP32, but I also got to see the tail end of the burst dot com bubble, measuring giant spaces for renovation by new tenants, moving around colorful bespoke chairs, dormant waterfalls, and empty fancy breakrooms. After having worked in construction for 9 months, standing around in unfinished buildings, it certainly made me think about the paces humans inhabit!

So: keep doing that, I think!
HONK HONK

all monsters

Postby all monsters » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 am

hey everyone, my name is will and I've been hanging out with insert credit related things for probably more than a decade now. I live in australia and split my time between a day job and making pretty websites for people with my wife, which is a lot more fun. hoping to be able to ditch the day job soon!

I don't have a lot of time to play video games anymore but I still really like thinking about them and mentally designing mechanics for pretend 2D action games.

I've figured out how to do some stuff with game maker recently and turned one of the pretend games into a fun prototype. making games is cool! I also make weird little drone pop songs under the name zebra cassettes.

I love outrun 2 and the streets of rage 3 soundtrack so I really want to play oh, deer! but I don't own the correct platforms, hope you guys get a chance to work on it again in the future.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:36 pm

We'll get oh, deer! out there on some other things, even if we have to fund it ourselves by only eating beans!! (I only eat beans and leafy greens already anyway)

You should've linked your music! I mean, why not? https://soundcloud.com/zebracassettes

If you ever want to share that prototype, you could share it here! you'd get some honest feedback.
HONK HONK

all monsters

Postby all monsters » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:59 pm

thanks for the link brandon, I was gonna start a "things you make" type thread and just link it in there.

it would be cool for people to play my prototype, there are a few things I need to tidy up first though. also I think it'll only be playable on mac due to game maker mac restrictions. if anyone has game maker for windows and is willing to export it for me let me know!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Yes! Start that thread for real!!

I have game maker for windows but have never once fired it up, so...........................>>>>>>>>>
HONK HONK

all monsters

Postby all monsters » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:25 pm

cool, I will make the thread!

if you have game maker you can probably check out that proto immediately since the thing I need to add is level transitions, which are unnecessary if you're playing in game maker. you can just manually switch the levels around instead.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:46 pm

maybe I willlllllllll thennnnnnnnnnnn
HONK HONK

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:50 am

I'd be up for checking that out. I have a mac!

all monsters

Postby all monsters » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:55 am

nice! I'll try to get a copy of it online tonight.

AAARGH!

Postby AAARGH! » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:40 am

Hey, I'm Fredrik.

I'm from Sweden, currently living in small port town where nothing ever happens. By day I run small company doing games for hire, mostly educational stuff, by night I tinker on my own stuff.
I've yet to play a Necrosoft games since I don't own any of the devices they are on. But they look like they're a bunch of fun.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:48 am

We'll put our games on things you own, eventually!!!!!!!!!!!
HONK HONK

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:44 pm

Wahoo!!!

SharkyKrunk

Postby SharkyKrunk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:32 pm

I am David! I used my twitter username for my username here, that seemed most convenient.

I don't work on games any more but once upon a time I worked with Shane! Fun days. Now I just consume the things, but lately I've also been putting a lot of thought into getting together a strategy game. I've got Gunhouse and Oh Deer! on my Vita, and oh man did Oh Deer! save me in the Gamescom queues this year. I am enormously excited for the recently announced game.

Other than that I'm trying to learn to speak French and Luxembourgish for various reasons. I test software now but maybe that will turn into games in a time. We'll see.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:24 am

Luxembourgish! Is that what they call it, in fact? What a fun time.

Strategy and tactics games are fun - I'd really like to be involved in a proper one some day, as long as I didn't have to do the math............>>>>>>>>>>>>

huzzah for the oh deer time wasting! hopefully you've seen the easter egg thread as well, if you want to squeeze some more weird stuff out of the game!
HONK HONK

SharkyKrunk

Postby SharkyKrunk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 pm

[NG] brandon wrote:Luxembourgish! Is that what they call it, in fact? What a fun time.

Certainly is! As I've heard it, their proper noun is a toss up between Luxembourger (ehhhh), Luxembourgian (cooler) and Luxembourgish, which seems to be popular. So I guess that extends to what the language is referred to as well.

I like strategy a lot too, and I'd really enjoy seeing what you'd do with a large scale strategy game! For me, I'm somewhat fond of those Total War games, but there's always just too much going on with them. That's why I'd really like to miniaturize the stuff I like about them, cut to the chaff.

Oh heck yeah there's some cool stuff in that thread! I'll be all over these next time!

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 am

I'm Geoff.

I met Brandon at TGS 2015.

I like photography. I love shooting with 40mm lenses.
I also like watching semi-obscure movies. My favorite directors of all time are Carmelo Bene and Dušan Hanák.
My favorite director who is still working is Ning Hao.

Sometimes I play videogames; I like multiplayer games with good use of color like Lethal Crash Race, Change Air Blade and Double Dragon II (nes). Hardware designs interest me. I really like simple controllers like the NES 'Dogbone' controller and the Hori Sega Saturn pad. I also like that famicom carts come in different colors.

Thomas, Shanghai is a real fun place, it's probably my favorite city in China. It's got a real good feel to it, it's got that film festival, it's a great place for street photography. My second favorite is Shenzhen. There's not as much to do, but it's my favorite part of the Pearl River Delta which is a place I like a lot. I kind of like hot weather.

I'm currently living in Japan.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:51 pm

Oh man, you did one of these!!

Yeah, this Geoff fellow played Gunsport for maybe 2 days straight at TGS, which was great!

I have never heard of any of those directors, so I'm feeling like a noob. I'll have to do some investigation. recommend a couple things? the only czech director I know relatively well is Jires, but he was part of the new wave, and I am guessing this documenteur is not.

The least polluted city I've been to in China was Dalian, but I can't say it was my favorite. I've got some good friends there, but it's a weird graveyard of culture - they razed everything that was interesting about the place and put up a series of identical high rise apartments that look like they game from 1980s eastern europe.
HONK HONK

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:23 am

My favorite Dušan Hanák films are his first two. 322 is a feature film whereas Pictures of the Old World is a documentary.
So go with whichever you are in the mood for.
They both have excellent cinematography. 322 shows how we have little moments that are beautiful, but maybe aren't part of the narrative of our lives. Pictures of the Old World is an exploration into the real lives of some interesting people.

For Carmelo Bene I'd recommend Salomè. It has a very unique visual style.

One thing that appeals to me about Ning Hao is that his movies seem to be getting better, so for him I'd recommend his latest stuff.
No Man's Land is a very Mad Max like road film.
Breakup Buddies is his most recent film and my favorite of his films so far. It's about a man dealing with his divorce. It starts kind of slow, but the later half is very heart-rending.

I've never been to Dalian. Sounds similar to the parts of Northern China I have been to; Lots of high rises, not a lot to do or see.
I definitely prefer the South.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:15 pm

I'll keep a look out for these!

Lately I've found that I have a harder time getting myself to watch "important" films, rather than some pulpy garbage from the 70s or 80s (which can also be important, but you know). I think it's because of how much paying attention my work requires... I guess I've become (to some extent) one of those people for whom entertainment sometimes needs to be unchallenging.

That said! I like challenging stuff a lot of course, I just have to be in the mood. (and I think my definition of challenging might differ from the average person's). I just watched Night of the Comet for the 2nd time. That's a dumb movie that I enjoy thinking about!

Dalian is pretty far south! But it doesn't have that vibe - I think that vibe will be erased as soon as possible if China has anything to say about it (and they sure do).
HONK HONK

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:40 am

There is a pretty thin line between pulpy garbage and important films.
Sometimes I think the difference is only that no positive reviews have found the right audience.

Willy/Milly is a charming little film about gender-identity that hits a lot of interesting points about gender and sexuality, in a PG freaky-friday style film, that very few people seem to know about.

Aerobicide is a silly 80's slasher film with a great soundtrack.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Yeah, the line is not only thing, it's wobbly, because two people can certainly fall firmly on different sides for the same movie.

Recently I really enjoyed Nirvana, which is a dumb cyberpunk movie starring perennial weirdo christopher lambert. It's not good, but it's... worth your time if you're having a hangout night by yourself? It's about a game designer whose creation gains sentience, and he then goes on a quest through a bunch of "ethnic" cities which all actually are constructed inside a giant alfa romeo plant.
HONK HONK

Return to “Non-Necrosoft”