Dropsy, That Clown Game ~ Incredibly Late DevLog

Dropsy

Dropsy, That Clown Game ~ Incredibly Late DevLog

Postby Dropsy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:07 am

I often have blog-worthy musings, but I'm too lazy to reset my Tumblr password, so I'm going to post them here.

We've got about 2 weeks left until release, which is September 10. Super exciting crazy no-sleep work zone happening right now. Game is not (and will never be) content complete, because I could work on it another 5 years to add everything I'd like.

We're having to push back some optional content until a few weeks after the game comes out. Using the phrase 'optional content' irks me, because while these areas don't contain anything paramount to completing and understanding the game, the world was conceived as a singular whole (~IT'S ALL CONNECTED~) during the first year or so of development. It feels like selling a print of a portrait without eyebrows or earlobes or something.

---

Mr. Indie Trailer Guy, Kert, is about to begin work on our launch trailer. I really want to communicate how nice and gentle the game is while still making it look interesting. I tried to do that with our gameplay trailer, but I feel like it sent more of a Spencer's Gift's ~random wacky creepy~ vibe than I wanted. Not at all Kert's fault, or anyone's fault - just a perception issue.

I just wanted it to be vaguely Earthbound-evoking and very childlike, which most people commenting don't seem to get from it. Guess that's kind of a tough thing when your protagonist looks like ours does.

Here's that trailer for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjByXbenA
Last edited by Dropsy on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

[NG] brandon

Re: Dropsy, That Clown Game ~ Incredibly Late DevLog

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:21 am

Yes!! Post all your things!

If it makes you feel any better, all content is ultimately optional, because people don't have to buy it. but if and when they do, and you add more to that, they will be grateful. It's only in your head that the game is one cohesive thing already. To players, it's like a lovely gift.

As far as the trailer, well, I quite like it. I see a misunderstood perennially upbeat clown inhabiting a messed up world that mistakenly thinks he's more messed up than they are because of how he looks. Is that at all accurate? Hopefully I haven't been unduly influenced by things I read and thus expected, though!

And a question - what's your general method of world creation, from the inception phase? do you draw things and connect them? type it all out? diabolical spreadsheets?
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:42 am

Your assessment is quite correct. You probably have been tainted. If not from reading about the game, then probably in the way you think about video games. I guess I can't blame anyone for assuming that a Devolver-published game featuring a grotesque clown isn't going to have a horribly dark underbelly. Ha. I think my concern is that the people who would most enjoy what the game offers could be turned off by whatever message I send through the marketing. You get one shot at it!

That said, it might be cool if some dude buys it hoping he's actually strangling everyone and ends up enjoying it anyway. :)

I think Dropsy's relation to his world is something that has slowly developed while working on the game. From the beginning he was an outcast who was sort of an urban legend because of a horrific circus fire. In the process of making it more of a game-game (more on this below), we've added characters that you meet who were directly impacted by the fire. You could possibly beat the game without knowing this if you don't poke around, so that's exciting to me. It definitely anchors Dropsy and the fire into the world.

Back in 2012-2013 it was waaay more of a walking sim, and nothing really 'happened' other than you making discoveries via exploration and incredibly simple puzzles. It's more of a traditional adventure now with some gated progression, but I think the game is helped by it. The puzzles are still generally on the easy side, and there are like ~20 or so optional puzzles in order to gather maximum hugs.

And oh man, yeah, huge spreadsheets all the way. Dropsy is my first game that has a cohesive world with lots of detail, so I don't really have a method, but I love spreadsheets. I feel like a crappier Tolkien with all of my lore documents and crap. I'm glad I was able to get the team to actually dig in and accept that stuff as integral to the game. It was definitely a worry before they came on.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks for posting this! I really want to play the game when it comes out!

I kind of had a similar discussion with a few people about how I wasn't sure if the developer (this was before you posted here!) was trying to do what brandon described or to be more youtuber "this is so crazy lol!". The trailer pushed what brandon described, but watching videos of other people play it or the comments made me feel the other way. I also think you're probably right about people seeing Devolver publishing and making assumptions based on the previous games they've published.

I guess this is another reminded to me that you can't really control how people consume or talk about your game!

On a somewhat hug related side note. I once made a prototype where you had to suck up people in a town using a giant sentient vacuum. Once your vacuum was full all the people were shot out the other end towards a man in underpants. It was then his job to grab all the people one by one and hug them to make them happy. The man was from space and didn't really understand social formalities. They just saw a bunch of sad people!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:21 pm

I would say one of my biggest limitations as a person who wants to communicate design ideas to others is my inability to make a nice looking document. I need to... learn to use excel properly.

As for your dilemma, well, I guess there's nothing to be done about it but wait and see. I do think subverting expectations has the potential to make people fall in love with it all the more, though, so I wouldn't be tooooo worried? As long as it's engaging enough to get a few influential people talking, and that'll be massively helped by having a publisher like devolver getting it in front of peoples' eyeballs.

Making gated puzzles and things is difficult - they can be really engaging, but if they're too much of a stopping point they can be frustrating. My personal favorite way to see this done is also the most time consuming, but essentially I like when your incorrect attempts as a player yield interesting failure, instead of nothing. The Grow series is especially good for this (grow cube, grow RPG, etc). But it's time consuming!!
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:13 am

[NG] Shane wrote:Thanks for posting this! I really want to play the game when it comes out!

I kind of had a similar discussion with a few people about how I wasn't sure if the developer (this was before you posted here!) was trying to do what brandon described or to be more youtuber "this is so crazy lol!". The trailer pushed what brandon described, but watching videos of other people play it or the comments made me feel the other way. I also think you're probably right about people seeing Devolver publishing and making assumptions based on the previous games they've published.

I guess this is another reminded to me that you can't really control how people consume or talk about your game!

On a somewhat hug related side note. I once made a prototype where you had to suck up people in a town using a giant sentient vacuum. Once your vacuum was full all the people were shot out the other end towards a man in underpants. It was then his job to grab all the people one by one and hug them to make them happy. The man was from space and didn't really understand social formalities. They just saw a bunch of sad people!

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to learn to just swallow the reviews/comments that get it wrong. Haven't had to encounter people responding to something I've made en masse yet, so we'll see.

Also, do you have that online anywhere? It sounds fantastic, aha.

[NG] brandon wrote:I would say one of my biggest limitations as a person who wants to communicate design ideas to others is my inability to make a nice looking document. I need to... learn to use excel properly.

As for your dilemma, well, I guess there's nothing to be done about it but wait and see. I do think subverting expectations has the potential to make people fall in love with it all the more, though, so I wouldn't be tooooo worried? As long as it's engaging enough to get a few influential people talking, and that'll be massively helped by having a publisher like devolver getting it in front of peoples' eyeballs.

Making gated puzzles and things is difficult - they can be really engaging, but if they're too much of a stopping point they can be frustrating. My personal favorite way to see this done is also the most time consuming, but essentially I like when your incorrect attempts as a player yield interesting failure, instead of nothing. The Grow series is especially good for this (grow cube, grow RPG, etc). But it's time consuming!!

My documents are horribly disorganized and not very nice looking at all. And yeah, I'm not that worried. We have it pretty good, and I'm sure that the reviews/LPs will speak more favorably. We've already had quite a few previews where the writers had their expectations messed with.

Yeah, I wasn't too big on the gating, but we had to do it to keep a flow to the game. Most of the gated bits are secret labs and sinister abandoned mines and stuff, so players generally get why they're not allowed in those areas.

We have a feeew tiny humorous failure bits, but reactivity is kind of low on the whole in terms of trying to randomly use inventory items on characters/objects. Mostly because of the workload, as you said. Since all of our dialogue is via pictogram, that'd add an extra heaping of it. We may add more in our post-launch update tho.

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Keep posting this stuff. It's so fascinating and fun to read! I hadn't heard about the game before all of this. The insight is great, and you bring up a lot of points I thought of just from the trailer.

Dropsy wrote:That said, it might be cool if some dude buys it hoping he's actually strangling everyone and ends up enjoying it anyway. :)

This would be the best.

Dropsy wrote:maximum hugs.

Sold on the game with just that phrase.
CAUTION: Challenge of over 100 3D moves.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Dropsy wrote:Yeah, I'm probably going to have to learn to just swallow the reviews/comments that get it wrong. Haven't had to encounter people responding to something I've made en masse yet, so we'll see.

Also, do you have that online anywhere? It sounds fantastic, aha.
It sure is frustrating! I think having someone to laugh with helps!

Unfortunately I don't. I'd have to do a bunch of fixes and I don't really have the time right now. With the game I was trying to experiment with the idea of game funneling. I'm not sure if that's what it's really called, but what I mean is taking the result of how well you did in one mini game and using that result in the following one. So in this case it would be the more people you vacuum, the more people you have to hug in the following part.

I think this funneling mechanic is kind of interesting to play with. If you can do it right it creates really nice flow. My mistake was making the first mini game fast and the second game slower. So you're kind of winding down the game speed as you play. That really didn't feel good! Ridiculous Fishing is really good example of this, winding up the game speed through funneling.

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:27 am

That is really neat to think about. I wanna make some small things after this behemoth is complete, so I'm gonna putz around with that concept I think. It would be fun to realize only after you're 3 sections into the game that your performance is changing things in the next bit. Perhaps something you did in section 1 could mess with content in section 4, and there could just be this crazy patchwork of cause/effect that combines in clever ways.

Right now with Dropsy there are three primary things I'm trying to decide on adding more of with my last ~5-6 days before review code goes out

1) More stuff for companions. Your dog Eughh can dig up stuff, your mouse can access tiny areas, and the bird can reach high things. It would be nice to add additional secret things for them to access.
2) Dreamworld stuff. When you go to sleep (a way to pass time since there's a day/night cycle) you will sometimes enter a dream. The dreams cycle, and things change in them depending on events in the real world. It's a way to give exposition without text.
3) TV shows. There's a functional TV system with shows that come on at different times, as well as a sort-of hint channel.

I'm wondering if I should add a little of each, or really focus in on one thing. It's a difficult decision because they're all so valuable in different ways. I'm leaning towards 1 & 2, with the bare minimim on 3. Our other artist is doing some 3 too, but we're not sure how much we'll get in. We'll see!

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Dropsy wrote:That is really neat to think about. I wanna make some small things after this behemoth is complete, so I'm gonna putz around with that concept I think. It would be fun to realize only after you're 3 sections into the game that your performance is changing things in the next bit. Perhaps something you did in section 1 could mess with content in section 4, and there could just be this crazy patchwork of cause/effect that combines in clever ways.

That sounds real cool. If you end up doing that and wanna chat about it more send me an email (my first name, at necrosoftgames). Or post it here!

Dropsy wrote:Right now with Dropsy there are three primary things I'm trying to decide on adding more of with my last ~5-6 days before review code goes out

1) More stuff for companions. Your dog Eughh can dig up stuff, your mouse can access tiny areas, and the bird can reach high things. It would be nice to add additional secret things for them to access.
2) Dreamworld stuff. When you go to sleep (a way to pass time since there's a day/night cycle) you will sometimes enter a dream. The dreams cycle, and things change in them depending on events in the real world. It's a way to give exposition without text.
3) TV shows. There's a functional TV system with shows that come on at different times, as well as a sort-of hint channel.

I'm wondering if I should add a little of each, or really focus in on one thing. It's a difficult decision because they're all so valuable in different ways. I'm leaning towards 1 & 2, with the bare minimim on 3. Our other artist is doing some 3 too, but we're not sure how much we'll get in. We'll see!

All of those additions sound pretty good to me! When I saw the tv shows, it reminded me of a better version of shows in harvest moon. I've always appreciated stuff like that since it makes the world feel like it exists beyond you. The first two sound like a lot of work to implement in a week! I'm guessing you have some kind of editor to speed all of that up.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I've also been thinking that if Dropsy becomes popular and people seem to have this perception of them being the video game freaky clown, will they start doing stuff like making Dropsy mods for other video games. That's something I could see the internet doing. How would you feel about that?

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:44 pm

I wouldn't mind Dropsy mods and stuff. Even if he's presented as creepy (and he does LOOK creepy), it's still a bunch of work someone put into something as a homage. Also, if anyone actually plays the game longer than 20-30 minutes, they'll likely pick up on how innocent he is.

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Then I'd better get to work on my Hotline Miami mod that adds a Dropsy mask. It makes enemies run from you, and you have no weapons. You just have to hug them.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:03 am

shane, you misspelled your email address! (it's just necrosoftgames.com not necrosoftsoft :P)

And yeah, I reeeeeally like -- when there are things like you describe with the dog/mouse/bird -- when there are cool/weird secrets for me to find by being adventurous. That's why I tried to put some of that stuff in Oh, Deer! Alpha, even if nobody ever found it.

I like the dream states too - the PC Engine game Anesan did some weird stuff with that - it was a game about gangster girls beating up other gangster girls to gain territory control - and at night you could go home and decorate your house with a bunch of items you buy with money you get from fighting and making the scariest face possible in minigames. And sometimes, depending on what you've got in your house, you'll get dreams - of unicorns, or weddings, or fairytales. It's a crazy stark contrast to the beating up of people that you do in the rest of the game, and I really liked it.

Do you worry, though, that if you introduce stuff like this so late in the game, you'll also introduce errors and game-breaking stuff? maybe Dropsy isn't built that way, but I'd sure worry about it myself!!

I can't say which you should emphasize in your last few days, since I don't know what the current content is. But if you have a fair bit of exposition already, I'd say #1 would be highest priority. If you have something you still really need to say though, I might go with #2. #3 might be a good candidate for that extra content you wanted to put in after your launch, I reckon.

Here's another question - at what point in the process was the game playable all the way through? did you build it in chunks and stitch it together, or linearly, or what? when you play it now, do you feel satisfied?
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:01 am

All of that stuff is already in, so it wouldn't be any new programming, just scripting and art. I just want to add MORE of it. :) No real risk of messing stuff up tho.

The lore for the game has been in development since late 2011. There was always a vague storyline and a few specific things I wanted in, but the game didn't begin to really take shape until way way later. This may be good in retrospect, because the story went through like 10 iterations in that time.

Other than graphics/music, this incarnation game only REALLY started development around 1 year ago after A Jolly Corpse joined me and started helping me pound it out. There was a really typical sort-of-depressing indie development thing that happened from late2013 to mid 2014 that stalled all progress on the game. In around July-Aug 2014 I was scrambling to figure out what to do, and was faced with the possibility that I'd have to do the whole thing alone, so I started tinkering around with good old Adventure Game Studio. That's when Bernie, David, and Jesse hopped on and started making stuff actually happen.

The game was playable all the way through in Aprilish of 2015 I think. I kinda don't remember the process. It was really ramshackle and crazy and waxed and waned a ton. We did the 'starting areas' first - defined internally as consisting of the Home, Friendly Forest, and City scenes. This is where players are guided at the beginning of the game, and consists of around ~24 scenes.

After finishing that, Jesse (of AJC) went through and slammed in a bunch of placeholder characters/art in the remaining scenes and got the rest of the game 'winnable' - though there wouldn't have been enough context for anyone but us to really beat it. Since then we've just been going through area-by-area polishing, testing, and adding to the placeholder stuff.

As it stands, the game's world is made up of a little under 80 scenes, separated into 12 distinct areas. There were originally 104 scenes planned. Many of them were collapsed into single, long scenes - and a few were cut for scope/time/gameplay reasons. Originally you could be arrested for hugging kids/other innocent Dropsy stuff - but we cut out the entire police station/jail bits because they just felt like bloat and there was no reason for their inclusion beyond being humorously incarcerated.

When I play it now I feel REALLY good. The characters and areas in the world are very well interconnected, and the game will definitely reward people who liked to dig/figure things out. That was the #1 thing I wanted to do, and I think we accomplished it. It's also just a very nice game at heart, and I'm glad we kept that tone throughout.

I have NO idea how people will react to the endgame revelations. We took the end out in testing so that certain big spoilers wouldn't leak. We'll see!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm familiar with that depressing game purgatory time!

And I agree, the longer a game is separated from being an actual game, the better it forms from the onset. That is to say: preproduction sure is a good idea, even if I tend to want to get right to making things move on a computer. With that game we teased a couple weeks back, I was really tempted to just ask Shane to prototype some ideas I had instead of actually doing the work to paper prototype - but it turned out I could totally prototype most of what I wanted to figure out (the single player battle system primarily) using paper.

And it really helped! Tons of things I thought would work out suddenly had glaring flaws. Other things I couldn't figure out sort of "revealed" themselves as I tried to play. I always get overwhelmed when paper prototyping because I get caught up thinking about all the variables that need deciding, but I find that if I just start within some parameters that feel okay - really any parameters - I will figure the rest out. I am not equipped with the strength of reason to solve one thing at a time, but holistically I can hone in on what works better.

Anyway it is great to hear that it feels really good to play through. I am looking forward to reacting to those endgame revelations :3

Who is your composer, by the way? Did you have a tone in mind and ask them to reach it, or did the tone evolve and shape around the music? I think about this kind of stuff a lot, because with Gunsport the music is definitely meant to be matched to the visuals, but with Oh, Deer! Alpha, I think the way the game plays was strongly influenced by the music, because we had that before almost anything.

ALSO: Would you be okay with me linking this around? I think people will find it interesting!
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 am

Ya link it wherever! It's fun! The composer is Chris Schlarb. He made the soundtrack around my notes before any of the actual game was even implemented. I gave him reference pictures and ideas for the feel of each of the areas, and he composed around that. He then got a sweet lil' band together who had learned his music/seen the reference material, and they recorded all of the songs live in a studio. I liked Chris's work previously, so I wanted to give him lots of room to do his own thing. Also, THEY HAD A REAL MELLOTRON AT THAT STUDIO!!!

The dreamy areas in the game are my music, and it's far more heavily processed/produced than chris's. It grabs lots of tiny samples from his work, but also has an OPL/soundblaster vibe to it in keeping with old adventure games. I also got a local shoegaze band to record a few layers. It's like 40% OPL, 40% shoegaze, and 20% weird electronic sample-y crap.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm

That's cool!! maintaining tone across multiple creators is difficult in any situation, especially if it's music, so I'm quite curious to see how that turns out. The fact there was one person directing it helps, of course!

So now that the game is basically done, what did you wind up focusing on, among the above choices? What made you lean that way?
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:23 am

I added a few more mouse/bird zones. I had planned on adding to the dreamworld, but we had to do a few things to make the ~real world~ stronger. Hint stuff for puzzles, mostly. We're 1.5 days out from release and there are still a few art assets on my list I need to finish.. I just got my half of the OST finished, mastered, and uploaded. Working on the cover art for it now.

I still have to do some behind-the-scenes stuff for our deluxe edition before launch too. D:

I also have a lot of anxiety about whatever bugs the reviewers may be finding right now. I hope they are gracious! I have never experienced this much stress in my life. My sleep schedule is all weird, my digestion is funky, and I'm in this constant fog. It's pretty crazy.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:50 am

ah man, it's gonna be okay!! you can fix bugs and players won't notice! and sometimes they're very forgiving about that sort of thing (they were with oh, deer! alpha).

you should try to relax a bit - once you've got everything done, it's sort of out of your hands, aside from bugfixes, so stressing about it doesn't make sense in terms of time use.

I'm curious to know how your SF trip went - how do you demo a game like this to journalists?
HONK HONK

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:15 pm

What brandon said. Good luck!!

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Congratulations on your launch! Waiting for dumb work to be over to get home and play! Danielle Riendeau talks on the Idle Thumbs podcast about Dropsy visiting her and showing her the game. Nothing but good things to say!

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:53 pm

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:55 pm

I've been playing Dropsy with my partner and we're both really enjoying it! As I said somewhere else on the internet, it's probably the least frustrating point and click I've ever played. Even when you're stuck on a puzzle you're still having fun! The implicit dialogue was definitely a really good idea. You feel like you're given a lot of space to think and experiment with how you solve an issue.

Don't read past this unless you don't mind reading minor spoilers

If you're interested to know where people get stumped, then I will tell you where we are stuck! We've helped a bunch of people and we currently only have the vampire mask and the tomato. We can't figure out where to use the vampire mask, the only person who seems to react to it is the anti vampire lady. We'll figure it out!

If you wouldn't mind could you answer one thing though! When the dog starts sniffing the air is there always something you can do there? I don't think it's always the case but my parent thinks there is! An example I can think of is the two signs before you come to the broken road over the river before the town.

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:51 pm

[NG] Shane wrote:Don't read past this unless you don't mind reading minor spoilers

If you're interested to know where people get stumped, then I will tell you where we are stuck! We've helped a bunch of people and we currently only have the vampire mask and the tomato. We can't figure out where to use the vampire mask, the only person who seems to react to it is the anti vampire lady. We'll figure it out!

Post a picture of Dropsy's room. It shows who you've hugged. Maybe I can help. Looking back, it's easy for me to think, "Oh, it's so obvious what you do with that..." but I know I had trouble! I'd love to say what I got stuck on, but I don't know exactly where you're at and hate to spoil anything.

If you wouldn't mind could you answer one thing though! When the dog starts sniffing the air is there always something you can do there? I don't think it's always the case but my parent thinks there is! An example I can think of is the two signs before you come to the broken road over the river before the town.

I've been wondering about this, too!!!

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:51 pm

adamazing wrote:Post a picture of Dropsy's room. It shows who you've hugged. Maybe I can help. Looking back, it's easy for me to think, "Oh, it's so obvious what you do with that..." but I know I had trouble! I'd love to say what I got stuck on, but I don't know exactly where you're at and hate to spoil anything.
You can see it, but don't tell me the solution!
hugs.png
hugs.png (113.86 KiB) Viewed 9824 times

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Whoa, you got the FBI agent guy! I haven't figured that out, yet.

I find that whenever I'm stuck in a game, it's because I'm forgetting something. I get discouraged and feel dumb when I can't figure something out, but I'll usually just take a break and then brute force it later... Just try everything. Then it's always, "Oh, duh... Of course that was the solution."

I've always wondered if that's how others play adventure games, too. I've been too scared to ask because I think, "They'll all say no, and I AM dumb!" I know it's because there's that one room or that one item I'm forgetting I have, but I can't help feeling that way. Must be a human brain thing. Who can say?

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:13 am

still need help? I'm here now XD

The dog sniffs at 'points of interest' and those generally don't go away once you've solved a puzzle (though they probably should) - so sometimes it can look like a red herring. If he's barking, there's a STRONG hint going on.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Dropsy wrote:still need help? I'm here now XD

The dog sniffs at 'points of interest' and those generally don't go away once you've solved a puzzle (though they probably should) - so sometimes it can look like a red herring. If he's barking, there's a STRONG hint going on.
I'm good for now! :P I'm going to give it another go tonight.

I was tempted to record my play through and then cut it up into cool gifs. But that would take so much time that I don't think I can!

Thanks for filling me in on the dog! My partner was taunting me when they read it :P

Nichrayzi

View the latest post

Postby Nichrayzi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:21 am

Boy oh boy, its 39 outside right now in the first week of October. Calm down Michigan

Everyone else enjoying Autumn so far?
<a href=http://traktorochek.ru/>самодельные минитрактора курск</a>

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm

I still haven't had a chance to play this again and now I'm at EGX agghghghghlhksd

[NG] brandon

Re: View the latest post

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:39 pm

Nichrayzi wrote:Boy oh boy, its 39 outside right now in the first week of October. Calm down Michigan

Everyone else enjoying Autumn so far?

If this is spam, it's a real weird one, but I'm leaving it.
HONK HONK

James?

Postby James? » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 am

Unrelated to the weird (maybe?) spam-bot (though now I'm thinking I've love to see an adventure/visual novel game that involves being in a cyberpunk future and having to deal with insane spam/ad bots in addition to all the awesome strangeness that comes with cyberpunk), I'm really enjoying this devlog. I find the whole process of game development fascinating, so seeing your process, ideas, and plans laid out is really amazing. Thanks for sharing, Dropsy!

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:56 am

thanks y'all.

so i was hoping to be able to afford christmas presents and get a vehicle and stuff but unfortuantely sales aren't what I'd hoped. (I'm not makin any money quiiite yet) i also got engaged recently and I really wanna give my fiance the wedding I know she wants but I can't really afford anything so that's making me sad too. i kind of overestimated what it'd be like to be on this side of things and told people irl that I'd be able to do certain things that I just can't do.

i gotta say i'm a bit jelly of Undertale. Toby deserves it because he made a really neat game, but dang man I want some financial independence finally and they made another game about being kind that people are connecting with like crazy and it makes me a bit sad. i can't find any motivation to do much of anything right now. i feel like i'm stuck in tar. sorry about the whine.

we're still working on the beach update, albeit very very very slowly. i still love Dropsy and am proud of the game though. :]

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:14 am

I wrote a long reply but it got eaten by the fact I got logged out. bleh.

But suffice it to say, I am both sorry for your financial troubles and also relate to them. certain recent events have led us to need a new source of funding, and we've never sold a game that made any money, so it's rough out there for everybody. And it seems like once a game has come out and not done amazingly, publishers start to forget or ignore it.

I'd say the best bet would be porting the game to other platforms to try to let the game find a new audience elsewhere. Maybe PS Plus? Maybe Humble Subscription? I don't know, but the game deserves a wider audience, and maybe you can make that happen.

It's tough to do things when you're feeling down - I know it! We made this comic because of it:

but I'm hoping you can find a new place for it. maybe nvidia shield? maybe the wii U! who knows!!!
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:16 am

[NG] brandon wrote:I wrote a long reply but it got eaten by the fact I got logged out. bleh.

But suffice it to say, I am both sorry for your financial troubles and also relate to them. certain recent events have led us to need a new source of funding, and we've never sold a game that made any money, so it's rough out there for everybody. And it seems like once a game has come out and not done amazingly, publishers start to forget or ignore it.

I'd say the best bet would be porting the game to other platforms to try to let the game find a new audience elsewhere. Maybe PS Plus? Maybe Humble Subscription? I don't know, but the game deserves a wider audience, and maybe you can make that happen.

It's tough to do things when you're feeling down - I know it! We made this comic because of it:

but I'm hoping you can find a new place for it. maybe nvidia shield? maybe the wii U! who knows!!!

Hahahaha, yeah, that comic is too relatable. We are porting it to mobile soon and may have something with humble coming up - so it does look like things are picking up. Devolver is definitely doing their part to look for new opportunities for the game.

I've got a few other cool ideas that I'll be ready to jump on when the big beach update is done, so maybe those will attract funds too. :]

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:26 pm

fingers crossed!!!
HONK HONK

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:31 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets on a few game of the years list! Hopefully they will generate some sales for you.

Return to “Non-Necrosoft”