The saturn and transparency/3D

[NG] brandon

The saturn and transparency/3D

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Since I think at least some of you like the saturn, this video has the best explanation for the console's transparency and 3D capabilities I've ever seen. I understand things so much better now! Also I never knew that quads were basically sprites with perspective. The whole thing is nuts, and explains why the best games feel weirdly creative to me.

HONK HONK

DosE

Re: The saturn and transparency/3D

Postby DosE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:44 pm

I love videos like this I wish they had them for all consoles, though, the guy is pretty hard to understand for me. thanks!
If yer gonna piss in your Chlorox, don't smoke.

DosE

Postby DosE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:49 pm

I will make a game one day. my partners brother is working for EA right now as a level decorator(his mom told me this, im sure its not right but its probably close to what he does) he worked on plants versus zombies 2(he gave us a shirt of it!)i love the saturn just wish shinobi had graced the system more, but i guess it wasn't around long enough. I bought a brand new in the box ps2 a couple months ago.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm

level decorator is kind of an adorable title.

there was shinobi legions, which isn't as bad as people say - plus richard jacques did a new soundtrack for the EU version which was more in line with the Shinobi genesis game soundtracks, which is a cool thing!

There's a saturn dev kit in a store in Culver City for $400. I wish I could afford it.
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:01 am

This is a hell of a video, great find.

I had no idea the Saturn used quads to begin with, but everything about this makes it more impressive that 3D on the saturn works at all. With that much memory at use and such strong 2D capabilities though, I do have to wonder why certain games like Dodonpachi had to have sprites lowered in resolution to run.

The part about transparency is especially fascinating, though, especially in how it explains the interactions between the two GPUs. Thanks for the link.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:48 am

I'm not sure about dodonpachi, but it must that be they didn't want to use the expansion ram??

There must've been a reason, and that's all I can think of!
HONK HONK

DosE

Postby DosE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:52 am

do you know of anymore videos like this but about different consoles, wait, ill just look for myself. I move into my new house on the 31st I'll post pics, it is one seriously fucked up house! Like a frankenhouse, it makes me claustrophobic! Oh the dreams i'll have in there, i can't wait!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:33 pm

I am curious about this house!

but yeah, if you find other system breakdowns, let me know. I've never seen anything as detailed as this, I don't think!
HONK HONK

DosE

Postby DosE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm

yeah i love videos like these, you've seen the 32x zyrinx demo? its not nearly as good. all my little vault dwellers died, almost.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:18 am

I've seen it, yeah! It's still cooooool
HONK HONK

Return to “Non-Necrosoft”