Oh, Deer! stupid ideas thread.

[NG] brandon

Oh, Deer! stupid ideas thread.

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 am

This thread is for everyone's weird ideas about the future of Oh, Deer! There's no guarantee we'll do any of it, but Chato said it might be fun to spitball ideas, and I agree!

Okay, so here's what we *want* to do.
- if you hit a lot of deer, you'll be taken down a "dark" path, with disturbing, bloody assets.
- if you avoid a lot of deer, you'll go down a "light" path, with disturbing, light and fluffy assets.
- both paths will have different tracks.
- upgrades for the car. Not yet certain if these will change the car's abilities/handling. Things like six exhaust pipes and giant spoilers, and spiked wheels.
- survival mode, where you can drive infinitely, but with less and less time each lap.
- online leaderboards
- challenges?
- ghost race mode?

That's it from us! What would you like to see? Again, no guarantees, but it'll be fun to brainstorm!
HONK HONK

Nana

Re: Oh, Deer! stupid ideas thread.

Postby Nana » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:34 am

Man, all I really want is a clock that tracks your times. The dark/light path is a great idea though, I love that one.

Upgrades can be fine, but please, please don't actually let them change the performance of the car. In an arcade-style game (especially with scoring/timing involved), nothing kills my motivation to play more than upgrades that actually improve the ability of what you're controlling. Improving the vessel instead of my own skill is not satisfying, and simply feels unfair. This is pretty much the reason I can't stand phone games.

Maybe once the player clears all three 'routes,' an option to install the music to the memory card as mp3s would be cool. As far as infinite driving goes, the survival route would be awesome if the tracks could somehow be procedurally generated. Programming that would be a nightmare, of course.

An... ad-hoc multiplayer racing mode? Is that even possible? I have no idea how that'd work, but it'd be a blast for sure.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:25 am

Well, the original plan with the upgrades was for them to do nothing (aside from obvious cosmetic stuff), but have HUGE grandiose text about their benefits to your car. Essentially you'd pay for them with miles driven, and all the upgrades would actually do is increase the multiplier for how many miles you've driven. Upgrades just make it easier for you to get upgrades. Kind of a store/upgrade troll I guess!

As for multiplayer... I'm not sure, but we've soooort of thought about it? It'd be a lot more work though!
HONK HONK

chato

Postby chato » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 am

Multiplayer sounds like a good idea but... I'm not quite sure if it'd be worth all the extra code. I feel like it's more the kind of game I play to death in singleplayer and would only ocasionaly try multiplayer, that's just me though ^^U

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Yeah, that's kinda why we're veering toward a ghost mode. Upload your own run, and let friend grab it and try to beat it - basically asynchronous multiplayer, and doesn't require an instant connection.
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm

I didn't see a thread for "great ideas," so I guess I'll put this here.

https://twitter.com/adamazing/status/415660889019129856
CAUTION: Challenge of over 100 3D moves.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:45 pm

whoa, yeah, I mean what is a video game without dynamic weather. if it gets real windy there could be windshear deer.
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:51 pm

What about a purgatory path? You reach a certain checkpoint/track split while having hit exactly half of the possible deer in that section. The track you head down is now just a straight road with a blank background... This goes on until you exit/restart.

Nana

Postby Nana » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:46 am

I agree -- ghost mode overall sounds like a much better idea.

Now, dynamic weather on the other hand, that's great.

chato

Postby chato » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:32 am

adamazing wrote:What about a purgatory path? You reach a certain checkpoint/track split while having hit exactly half of the possible deer in that section. The track you head down is now just a straight road with a blank background... This goes on until you exit/restart.

I can't decide if that's a horrible design element or a brilliant idea.

About the dynamic weather... it would be a nice idea to have deer falling drom the sky but in a random over the top way, like a bonus area or something where everything is slippy due to the blood and the flesh being all over the place.

This is slowly becoming Postal: The Driving Arcade :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Brandon will correct me if I wrong, but I think the art style in the alpha is what the default/purgatory path will be like!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:09 pm

That's the "neutral" path, yeah, but a purgatory/empty area would be amusing. I've thought about a bunch of specifically achievable weirdnesses that could be unlocked, but they might start to feel too gimmicky too. Depends on how they're presented!
HONK HONK

Jim Boonie

Postby Jim Boonie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:48 pm

-infinite mode with randomly generated track
-saint game mode: lose if you hit a single deer, endless or looping track where the deer placement is random/changes
-secret area accessed from a side path in the normal game mode. In one of the tracks in the evil path of the game a small dirt path randomly generates on the side of the road somewhere in the course. The path is very narrow, winding, and has a lot of trees that are easy to hit (you explode and lose if you crash into one). If you make it down the path going deeper into the forest, you reach the deer civilization. the area is packed with deer. you mow through them, crash through their woodland-themed deer homes, break through their deer defenses and destroy the entire deer city.
-in the normal mode make the credits skipable after the first time.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:23 pm

haha, jim, I like that deer civilization idea! It'd be tough to do, but... it's pretty neat! Keep the ideas coming!

Definitely gonna do that credits thing for the final game, for sure.
HONK HONK

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:03 am

I'd probably play saint mode a bunch! Though for me the track and deer placement has to be not randomly generated because you can't really learn the track and the placement otherwise.

buttface

Postby buttface » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:08 am

Survival mode is definitely the big thing I want.

I'd also be interested in a mode with randomized track layouts.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:26 am

niceeeeeeeeeee well we are doing the survival thing for sure - random track layouts might be tough, and might also wind up being boring, but if we only have certain combos of track components it couuuuuuuuuuld work? the assets would be the real tough thing though, they're all pretty much hand placed, and randomizing them would require a set width and all that, which seems... counter creative somehow.
HONK HONK

Luminance Bloom

Postby Luminance Bloom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Definitely leaderboards and challenges (which could probably just be implemented as trophies). Those sorts of things always greatly extend the life of a game for me and encourage me to go deeper with the mechanics than I probably would have otherwise.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 pm

We'll have to think hard about those things - generally we're not super into achievements or trophies over here, but we know they're needed for some. We'll try to find some real stupid stuff to do with them.
HONK HONK

Luminance Bloom

Postby Luminance Bloom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 am

I have mixed feeling about achievements. On the one hand, they definitely play into gross completionist GAMERZ tendencies. But, on the other, I think they can encourage playing the game in interesting, alternative ways if they're done well.

I'm curious to hear why you don't like them.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:49 am

I guess the completionism, for one thing, but also the fact they interrupt you by default (I disable all notifications for everything), and once I've disabled them, I never miss them, and never go to check which I've gotten. So what's the dang point!?
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:33 am

How about an extra mode called 'Outrun' which is just actual Outrun?

You can use the mystery port on the top of the Vita 1000 for a steering wheel peripheral.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:07 am

OOOH I do want to use that mystery port.

I also want to build a really janky arcade setup for this out of plywood and a gran turismo wheel.
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Achievements are cool when they're legit cool things to/hard things to accomplish. Also, whenever there are a lot of them, and they're all only worth 5G or something. The original Dead Rising got it right!

I am confident you'd have some great, dumb ways to earn achievements. Pretty excited about the possibility.

jayson

Postby jayson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:25 am

It would be fun if one in every one hundred or one thousand deer were some kind of variant, like a reindeer, or a non-deer (maybe a horse or an alpaca or something). If you hit it, you'll get bonus points or a score multiplier!

It could trigger some kind of dumb vocal clip.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:54 am

HMMMM, intriguing proposition!
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:48 am

maybe bosses in the form of other cars that are jerks and try to ram you off of the road? if yer avoiding the deer, they could try to ram you into their path. if you're trying to hit deer, they could hog them and ram you out of their path. etc etc.

or a motorcycle gang. or just like a big leopard or an elephant stampede or other crazy crap like that.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:50 am

yeah, I'd really like an actual racing game with this engine! but AI would take a lot more work for this thing I think... unless it were real simple!

elephant stampede though... I'm into that idea :3
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:18 am

this is the "stupid ideas" thread so I want AI combat dadgummit
also thanks!

oh man, maybe you can enable flight on a car temporarily with a special deer so you can go really high and see how weird everything looks from a high angle

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:57 pm

It looks reeeeeeeeally weird from different angles! Right now the road is super breakable, so that if you make a really deep but short valley, it looks like the entire world is warping around you. So combining flight with that could make everything real bizarre!!

And you're right, stupid ideas thread it is! I super want a game like this with combat anyway, so..........let's do it! (not really, but maybe...................................>>>>>>>>>>)
HONK HONK

Return to “Necrosoft”