that "sprite glitch" bug

[NG] brandon

that "sprite glitch" bug

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Hey friends!
Some of you have experienced a bug where all the assets are floaty and weird - this happens when the game is reading assets from the wrong level into the one you're currently playing.

Unfortunately, we have no idea WHY or WHERE this is happening. Anyone who's experienced this, could you share the exact sequence of events that led to this glitch, if you can recall!? Thank you!!!
HONK HONK

Nana

Re: that "sprite glitch" bug

Postby Nana » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:09 am

Sure. It occurred for me with 100% success, so it's pretty easy to replicate. I just ran a few tests to check a few things though, and here are my findings:

If you quit or run out of gas on stage 1 or 2 (but seriously, who does that?) there won't be any issue. You can actually do this as many times as you like, and there won't be a problem.

However, if during any of your runs (either a first go, or a subsequent playthrough following the instructions above), if you clear stage 2 but run out of gas on a later stage, quit via menu, or get to grandma's, then the graphics on stage 2 will be entirely replaced by graphics for another level (starting from the moment the level loads). The two bridges are the hard parts to navigate, since the assets replacing them completely cover the screen.

On all of my own playthroughs, I hadn't run out of gas on any stage prior to stage 5. This causes level 2 to use the assets for level 1 (city). I just tested to see what happens with the earlier stages, and quitting or dying on EITHER stage 3 or 4 causes level 2 to use the assets for stage 4 (desert).

It doesn't matter which path you were on (dark, light, neutral), and after getting the bug once, any further playthroughs will keep the same corrupted graphics that you already had, no matter which stage you exit on. The music is still the correct stage 2 music.

One thing I would like to find out instead though, is more of who DOESN'T have this issue? Could having a 64gb memory card have anything to do with it? From experience, I know that memory corruption is pretty prevalent with this system, and moreso on 64gb cards than any other.

EDIT: Actually, does the framerate cut in half for everyone else when loading new stages too? Not sure if that could be related at all.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:52 am

Ah, that is excellent research there! I got it to work by dying on stage 4, just letting the time run out. the select restart didn't do it for me, at least on stage 3, but that did it. Thank you so much!!

It's curious to me, some folks seem to get this A LOT and some seem to get it not at all. One friend says it happens to him every single time, and I'm sure he's beating the game (so that's the grandma condition I guess). Regardless, that's massively helpful!!!

As for the framerate, it's because it's loading a whole new set of assets... we'll be able to solve that when we go to Vita proper, but with PSM, we can't make it much better :\
HONK HONK

Decinoge

Postby Decinoge » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:59 pm

I really didn't wanted to register on another forum... oh well.

Running from the memory card might be part of the issue since accessing to the card might slower than accessing to the Vita's internal hard drive.
But ultimately it is even impossible for me to know since I can't run the game from the memory card, I have to run it from "developers program" Sony provides. Also, I hardly ever get the error (got it once in 4 days of playing the game tirelessly), and even before you described how you get yours... I had already tried all those possibilities.

• Quit on stage 1, finish the game.
  • Quit on stage 2, finish the game.
  • Quit on stage 3, finish the game.
  • Quit on stage 4, finish the game.
  • Quit on stage 5, finish the game.
  • Lose on stage 1, finish the game.
  • Lose on stage 2, finish the game.
  • Lose on stage 3, finish the game.
  • Lose on stage 4, finish the game.
  • Lose on stage 5, finish the game.

I still get no error. But I might inadvertently fixed the error once I found the "Lose the game while in a stage transition" crash (the one that doesn't give away an error message, this one is from the Vita itself and not our own doing... even commercial games are giving it).
Might be that the error only comes to the surface once it is a packet, a proper game on store and not while it is playing with the "developers program" thing. But even if I could somehow make it run as a proper game, I wouldn't have a debugger to help me "catch" the bug.

My point is that this entire "PSM" thing from Sony keeps us so away from the machine or from accessing it, that we have no idea how the game will on his final stage.
I don't even know if the resources Sony restrict us for the Vita will actually BE THERE once the game is selling. If having other applications running on the background will steal our game resources or not... all those factors mess up with the game.
The entire PSM platform is highly unstable (you are not actually doing a game for the Vita, you are doing a game for a reinterpreter of code in real time on a machine with capped specs).

Anyway, I need to know a few more things:
  • Are you running other applications on the background, or leaving them open?
  • What PlayStation Mobile version do you have? (Settings > System >Playstation(r)Mobile

Thanks for all your help.

Nana

Postby Nana » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Sure. I'm not running anything else in the background -- to clear RAM, I just turned off the system and restarted it to make sure. PSM Runtime Package is 2.01, which I believe is the latest. I have the two dev apps downloaded on my vita, but since I don't have anything installed through them, I doubt that makes a difference.

DoctorTabarnac

Postby DoctorTabarnac » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi. My issue does not seem to be exactly the same as the sprite glitch, but resembles it in that it that prevents me from progressing through the game. Here is a video of the game's behaviour every time I attempt to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl2KU_l ... load_owner

The key moment occurs at around 1:40, upon reaching what I imagine should be a new section of the track. Note the green bit that appears at the bottom of the screen at around 1:50 (this is consistent).

I have also included the crash that occurs consistently when attempting to start a new game from the start screen after quitting the first attempt.

I have downloaded the game three times in total, on two different 32GB memory cards. I believe the latest version of the PSM runtime is installed. If it helps to know, I am located in Canada and use a slim model of the Vita. I will check back and give you more details if you need.

I hope you can let me know of a way around this issue since I would really like to play your game! I enjoyed the feel, sound and look of it during every second I spent with it.

Additional feedback: I think it would be a great idea if the tutorial text that appears at the starting line would remain on screen until the player starts to accelerate. It took me a couple of tries to be able to read it all before it disappears.

Good luck!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 pm

OH!!! I've seen that one, but only occasionally, in the simulator. I had no idea anyone was experiencing this!! It's happening during the transition, which is where most of our problems are arising. Definitely any detail you can give, like if you had any other apps open, what version of all the firmware and PSM you have, etc would be very helpful!

Also, sorry this is happening, that's a real annoying bug, and one you can't really get past :\

We do have a tutorial text fix in the pipeline, just waiting for the next patch to come out first!
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 am

Apologies for the 4chan screencap, but I figure I should share this here.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:58 am

Well, the first patch is out. For some reason, it doesn't update the application itself, you have to... redownload it from the store I guess!? Was it always like this with PSM? I don't think it was... I'm redownloading it now to see if I can replicate the errors. Everyone else please do the same, if you can!

What we know this patch fixes:
- the "run out of gas in transition" crash
- a few basic optimizations

What we hope this patch also fixes:
- the sprite glitch, because we can no longer replicate it.

The NEXT patch, which we have to wait for Sony to approve (the last one took 10 days) has additional optimizations, *hopefully* kills the sprite glitch if the last didn't, and also makes the instruction text a separate screen you can click past.

Please let us know what you find!
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 pm

So it looks like the patch does download automatically. A few friends of mine said it just automatically appeared on the home screen as an 'installing...' message one time they turned on their vita, but for me I got a pop-up when I went to launch the game asking if I want to download the latest update for it.

Thankfully, it did download and install, because I'm still on 3.51 and can't access PSN regularly anymore.

...still get the sprite glitch in the same place though, sorry.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:41 pm

The next patch should be coming soon!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:50 am

yeah, 2nd patch is coming, but I'm not sure if it fixes this problem. Frankly I think we hoped the first one would. I've still seen the glitch myself.

Nana, can you confirm that the glitched assets are from the stage that you see on the title screen after a failure? This is what I suspect is happening. For example, fail stage 4, see stage 4 graphics in stage 2.
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:49 am

Well, I've actually lost access to playing the game entirely, haha. I tried to switch memory cards to my 4gb to test something out (the other guy I posted the screencap from had a 64gb too), which caused PSM to delete its registration status. Putting my original card back in, I still can't play the game anymore. (Sorry, I know it's selfish, but I'm still on the fence about updating.)

That being said, while I also thought that's what was happening at first, that is not the case (re: title screen and game). Completing the game successfully results in the title menu using the graphics for stage 5, but stage 2 was incorrectly using the assets for stage 1. And failing on stage 3 still correctly uses the stage 3 graphics for the title menu, but stage 4's assets in the bug. So who knows.

The fact that it seems to be so different for everyone makes me believe it's not an issue with any specific stage as much as something related to the memory space, like Decinoge suggested. I think I would be okay with a longer transition time between stages if the game were able to run a quick verification to make sure it's pushing in the right sprites.
Last edited by Nana on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Damn!!! That's really shitty... you should still be able to download PSM and the game before July 15th though, no!? I don't reeeeally understand how this works, but I'd like to, so I can tell people what not to do. I heard about the memory card problem, but am not totally sure what it means. Like... can you NEVER EVER remove the card?

and yeah... it seems it's not related to the specific stage as I'd hoped. each stage has a specific sprite atlas, and it's clearly drawing from the wrong ones, but as for what's making it do that, well, I guess my clues were faulty :P
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 am

Well, it's entirely my fault for staying on outdated firmware, haha... I'm waiting until July 13th to decide whether or not I want to stay, because there's other PSM games I want to buy too.

The problem specifically with PSM is that you need to 'register' your device at least once by starting up a game while connected to the internet. This, reasonably, requires a Vita on up-to-date firmware. The deadline for this registration iirc is September 10th, so even after PSM officially goes down on July 15th, people will still have a while to start up a game and perform the registration.

What I didn't know is that switching memory cards would actually deregister my vita (I'm not sure if this was actually a glitch or what, though), preventing me from playing any of the PSM games I purchased despite already having registered prior, and despite having them all downloaded on my vita (and even backed up on my computer). If I update to current firmware before September, then yeah, I'll gain access to all of them again.

Amusingly enough, through some USB trickery, I can still buy games and DLC from PSN and transfer them to my vita from my PS3. But the only thing that's not available on PSN from neither the browser store nor the PS3 store is Playstation Mobile stuff. Dammit!

So, basically, you don't need to warn people of much. I'm fairly certain I will be the only person to specifically follow the steps of staying on lower firmware, then switching memory cards and trying to play a PSM game.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:08 pm

Yeah, I suppose it's more of a "watch out if you don't want to update your firmware" problem than a "don't switch your memory card" problem, but I do sorta feel like it's still something they should know about! Perhaps I will just direct people to this thread!
HONK HONK

DoctorTabarnac

Postby DoctorTabarnac » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:52 am

After redownloading and attempting to play the game a couple of times on my 32GB cards in the last 10 days, I have just installed and tried to run the game on an 8GB card, from system boot, with no other applications running, with the 2.01 PSM Runtime Package installed. On both types of cards, I still get the same as result as the video I posted above. Since the latest versions of the app have been released, the only differences are that I now see dark green ground and glimpses of background instead of total black when reaching the second section of the track. The only other factor that I can see affecting this are that all my cards are more than 75% filled up, but there is no way that I am clearing space just for more testing attempts (my bandwidth is not free). Best of luck.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:01 am

Man, I super do not understand why that is happening... I guess we should consider ourselves lucky in the fact nobody else has reported this, but it's very distressing that it's happening. Let me know if you'd like your 49 cents back, I'll paypal it to you :P
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:05 am

Actually, post-september 10, looks like what I was talking about might be an issue after all, since the PSM website specifies that if you deactivate a device after the cutoff date, you'll lose your stuff.

Obviously, that's something you don't have any control over. @askplaystation asked me to post a thing to the Sony community forums so that the higher-ups could ignore it later. If you're interested, have a look.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/45255278

But again, this really isn't your issue.

DoctorTabarnac

Postby DoctorTabarnac » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:10 am

It's 49 cents and it goes to you, which as a super-fan of the IC podcast (regardless of whatever made it peter out in the end) I only feel I owe you. I'll be bummed if I can only get to play it on PC, but I'll pay more whenever something final is released!

Nana

Postby Nana » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:10 am

Same. Worth noting, I would buy the final version without hesitation.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:10 am

The second patch is up!!! Let us know if it fixes anything :P

[edit] Well, I just tried to break the game, and managed to do it in a new way, by getting hung up on a loading screen. Hooray!
HONK HONK

SuperTaiyaki

Postby SuperTaiyaki » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Brandon!

I was seeing the same issue as DoctorTabarnac - clear the first zone, then things go blank and the stage just doesn't render.

I booted the game, had the prompt about the update, and I updated. After installing the update I restarted the game, it seemed to be the new version (instructions screen before the track appears), but the glitch still appeared.

Then I tried downloading it from PSN again. I can't tell if it's the same version, but the bug didn't trigger and I got to Grandma's House just as the fuel ran out and the graphics were going dark. I guess it's fixed?

This is a very early Japanese Vita, Japanese PSN account, 8gb memory card, PSM Runtime 2.01, firmware 3.52.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully everyone else stops getting the bug too. I'm not sure if we're going to be able to keep submitting patches after the store closes.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Ah!!! That's great news. Hopefully DoctorTabarnac will have the issue solved as well!? I know Nana lost access to PSM games, so we can't find out about that issue...

But I guess I found a new issue anyway so it's not like its all fixed :P
HONK HONK

Nana

Postby Nana » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:25 am

[NG] brandon wrote: know Nana lost access to PSM games...

;_;

I really wanted to play Chiebura too.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:26 pm

it's pretty funnnnnnnnnn
HONK HONK

Return to “Necrosoft”