PAX!!!

[NG] brandon

PAX!!!

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 am

So we're gonna be at PAX and stuff. I'll be at this party: http://majornelson.com/2015/08/17/youre ... pen-house/

And then all week wherever this is: section “N3” in the North Lobby on the 4th floor. We're in a lobby! a physical manifestation of the online lobby we'll have in gunsport in a couple months.

But if anyone's around, come say hi! I will be bored and displeased, so come tell me a story or bring me a potato chip!

If you're not coming, that's okay! Tell me the thing you like least about PAX instead!!!!!!!!!
HONK HONK

[NG] Shane

Re: PAX!!!

Postby [NG] Shane » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 am

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:40 pm

ha ha, indeed I do! I will add that above.
HONK HONK

Dropsy

Postby Dropsy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm

Aw man I wish I was going. Crunching to get a bunch of last minute secret/fun content in Dropsy. Anyone going to Fantastic Arcade?

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:13 am

that is more important than subjecting yourself to a tradeshow!

no fantastic fest for me, I don't think...........
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:51 pm

No PAX for me. The thing I like least about it is all the dumb stuff. Also, that I won't be there bringing you a chip.

I'll be at Fantastic Arcade though. That's probably the best event ever. You should go, Brandon. I know awhile ago you said you'll be overseas then; but hey, I gotta believe!
CAUTION: Challenge of over 100 3D moves.

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:54 pm

"Overseas" makes it sound like you're in the military. I just couldn't remember where you said you'll be. Singapore, maybe?

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:04 pm

looking at the fantastic fest timing, it appears I'll have just gotten back from Japan (and korea). it's quite likely I won't want to do anything but sit in my house and play saturn games for two weeks after that!
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm

How many potato chips did you get?

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:46 pm

zero!! but I found some doritos somewhere!

Oh, but James? from the forums here did come and say hi! so that's good enough, by darn!
HONK HONK

James?

Postby James? » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 am

Alas, I wish I had checked this thread before PAX, I would have brought some chips or a good story. In spite of not being up to speed I did find my way there and got to play Gunsport which was excellent. It was awesome getting to meet you, Brandon!

My experience with Gunsport was pretty inspirational - it was not at all what I expected, and really got me thinking about games designed around flow/groove, rather than just raw speed/twitch. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the game evolves over time.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:49 am

I'm looking forward to it too! I was happy it got you thinking about it, because people were mostly just confrontational about it :P
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:10 pm

[NG] brandon wrote:people were mostly just confrontational about it :P

Can you please elaborate?!? I'd love to know what people said/thought. Could they just not grasp how to play because they were expecting something completely different? I mean, we all know it's not a game for babies.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:33 am

Oh, they were just like "why can't I aim faster? why can't I shoot more? it would be more fun if I could do those things." Of course only a certain minority of people said that, but your traditional "gamer" was the most prominent voice. I would say this is not a twitch-oriented game like call of duty, it's more about planning and waiting, and they said "ah" in a "that's too bad" way, not an "I see" way.

But ultimately it just shows that we're not doing a good enough job with all our visual feedback and communication so that people feel good when they make those choices correctly - and that's something we are working on!
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:11 am

[NG] brandon wrote:But ultimately it just shows that we're not doing a good enough job with all our visual feedback and communication so that people feel good when they make those choices correctly - and that's something we are working on!

Does it? Who is saying this? Is it the producer in you? What does the director in you say to that? As a creator/designer, where does your original vision end and the vision "gamers" want begin? Is visual feedback and communication necessary for the scope of the game? Or is it just something to help people "get it," but maybe sacrificing something along the way.

There have been several games that I have had the best time with, only to see them fail and not continue on... whether it be a multiplayer community or just a sequel. "Dang, if only more people got it, there would be a larger player base; and I could still be playing!" I really don't know the solution to this problem.

This I something that has always made me wonder. I fear this seems like an attack or something, but I'm just really curious. One thing Twitter and the Internet has done is allow people to contact others, for better or worse. I find myself using it to just learn and discover, with no real purpose for knowing the information other than going, "Wow, that's cool. I'm glad I know that now. Neat."

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 am

yeah, I mean there is a lot of stuff that I personally want to see - nothing will be sacrificed, because everything we want to do just adds clarity and weight to your actions. We're not adding more visual feedback because players ask for it, it's because we feel like it's needed!

As for how to keep a game sustained, and give it a community, well, that's certainly the struggle! we're probably gonna be working on that forever, but the problem of discoverability is one I can only influence as regards Gunsport, not something I can change across the board, so... we're just gonna try our best ;_;
HONK HONK

Return to “Necrosoft”