Oh, Deer! OST

adamazing

Oh, Deer! OST

Postby adamazing » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Last, I didn't feel like playing a game on the tv. I ran out of batteries for my wireless headphones. It's too loud and didn't want to wake the kids, so I went to bed... and played the Oh, Deer! Alpha.

I forgot the music changed depending on how many deer you hit because I had been avoiding the deer on almost every playthrough. It got me thinking... How much directing did you do for Motohiro Kawashima? We're there restrictions on what tools he could use? Did you just tell him about the game/show it to him and let him work? Or give him rules? Maybe show him the art from each mile and say, "Go!"?

Everything is so well done. The first track that plays during Mile 1 is so perfect. The way the song accelerates matches so well to the gameplay. That's what made me wonder.

I have a billion more questions about it all, but I'll wait for a response to see how enthused you are to talk about it. I know I am!

Also, I had a dream last night I already posted this, but (in the dream) I couldn't remember the composers name. I had to look it up, and it was a mix of a Japanese and Swedish sounding name. A lot of consonants in a row. I woke up this morning confused that what "I had posted" wasn't here on the site. "Oh, yeah... That was a dream."

Dreams are weird.
CAUTION: Challenge of over 100 3D moves.

[NG] Shane

Re: Oh, Deer! OST

Postby [NG] Shane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:13 pm

I love what Kawashima did on the soundtrack! The three tracks per mile is something a lot of people don't notice until they've really played the game in multiple styles.

Brandon would be best to answer this since he was the one who organised all of that! He's currently at PAX so you might have to wait a few days for a reply!

I'm with you on the dream stuff! I constantly think I've replied to emails or had conversations with people. Realising later it was a dream I had. What weird mundane dreams!

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Basically, when am I getting the soundtrack on brightly colored vinyl?

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:58 pm

I would reckon once we have the full release of game....maybe?! I'm pretty sure there will be a bunch of people asking for it!

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:48 am

Hi!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, the music is real good!

I did give him direction - He wasn't sure how to get that FM Synth sound, since when he was doing it, they just programmed it on a genesis. So I basically said, "a lot of people use propellerhead reason," and he decided he's just go for it, so that's what he used.

As far as direction, I mostly told him what I liked about his song "Cycle" for Streets of Rage 3, and also the rest of them. What parts of the songs I liked, why it resonated with me, and the kind of aggressiveness I wanted him to bring out. He sent me some early demos, and they were pretty flat at first. I was a bit worried that, rather than hiring the real guy, I should've hired the guys who were influenced by him! But with each revision he got better and better, and eventually he sent me some tracks that were just fantastic.

We didn't have much art yet, just the mockup from junkboy, so I told him I wanted to progress down these dark and light paths, and everything along the neutral path was basically something that didn't quite have the edge of the darkness, or the airiness of the lightness.

One reason the music might match relatively well is that I made the tracks and added the assets after the music was quite finished. I had the songs in my head when I was making them - but of course, we only made the neutral tracks here, so it's kind of created with those in mind. The dark and light stuff will be rather different. But I tried to put some hints of dark and light here and there, so if you were along those paths and heard the music, you might notice something different as you play.

As for the OST, Kawashima is working on it now. I want to try to do records, but that will almost definitely have to wait for the full game to be out! Feel free to ask more questions!
HONK HONK

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm

[NG] Shane wrote:The three tracks per mile...

Even Mile 1?!? :P

Piccoro

Postby Piccoro » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:09 am

Hello.

I just registered to say that I loved listening to the Oh Deer's soundtrack on the Motohiro Kawashima YouTube video. I'm a fan of his music and your game seems good, it reminds me of OutRun. I'm also anxiously awaiting for Gunsport. That game looks very cool.
Unfortunately, PlayStation Mobile was never available in my country, so I'm afraid I'm never going to experience your game as PSM is shutting down.

Question: If Oh Deer! never gets ported to other platforms, would Necrosoft consider releasing the soundtrack on digital stores (like iTunes)? Or better yet, include the soundtrack in your other games (like Gunsport).
I think it would be a shame if Oh Deer! gets lost forever...

Thank you.

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Oh, actually Mile 1 is only the one track, you're right!
And I'm sure you've let the start screen go, right? It's the longest song in the game, secretly, at 2.5 minutes.

And welcome Piccoro? Which country are you in, where PSM wasn't available? Just curious.
We definitely are going to try to get it to other platforms (a bunch of them!) but if it doesn't happen, we will still definitely release the soundtrack digitally - Kawashima is working on it right now, and he's definitely going to release it!

Gunsport will certainly have a soundtrack too - fear not!
HONK HONK

Piccoro

Postby Piccoro » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:35 am

Oh wow! That's great news, Brandon. Thank you for the reply! :)

I live in Portugal, Europe. One of the few EU countries that didn't had PSM.

Here's hoping that you can get Oh Deer! on other platforms! Thanks again! :D

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Ah! Our Oh, Deer! programmer/lead artist/most everything else is from portugal - he's also leading the same roles on Gunsport, and the net programmer for Gunsport is alsoooooooooo from portugal. But neither of them lives there anymore, so they can get oh deer if they want :P
HONK HONK

Piccoro

Postby Piccoro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 am

They're Portuguese?!
That is so cool! Now I like Necrosoft even more! :)

[NG] brandon

Postby [NG] brandon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:41 am

yep!! they both live in eastern europe now - I'm collecting all the portuguese living in various eastern european countries :P
HONK HONK

DosE

Postby DosE » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:39 am

Can i buy it yet? The oh deer! OST? or hell, even dl it?
If yer gonna piss in your Chlorox, don't smoke.

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:07 am

Nope!! We're working on it. Unfortunately we're jerks!

DosE

Postby DosE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:23 am

Yes, yes you are. Lemme know will ya

adamazing

Postby adamazing » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm

DosE wrote:Yes, yes you are. Lemme know will ya

Still! Still a bunch of jerks!

[NG] Shane

Postby [NG] Shane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:41 am

Sorry! We are actually working on it, and may have something for you in Q1 2017 (no promises)!

DosE

Postby DosE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am

[NG] Shane wrote:Sorry! We are actually working on it, and may have something for you in Q1 2017 (no promises)!

Is it ready yet?

Piccoro

Postby Piccoro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Oh wow, just found out today that the Oh, Deer Beta is on the Humble Store??? Why didn't you guys warned me? I missed the PS Mobile version back in the day! :P

I'm buying it ASAP! :D

Are you guys planning to bring this and GunSport to the PS4? Thank you.

Return to “Necrosoft”